Cervical myelopathy mainly occurs by compression of the cervical spinal cord in the neck. This is most common in the case of adults as well as elderly people. Some of the important facts for choosing cervical myelopathy specialists have been discussed in this article.
Top common causes of cervical myelopathy
Cervical myelopathy is mainly caused due to several factors like:
- Breaking of the cervical disc,
- The slipped disc as well as neck dislocation or fracture,
- Traumatic cervical spine injury,
- The compression as well as tumors present in the spinal cord
- Some of the autoimmune diseases which mainly include myelitis, multiple sclerosis, myelitis as well as neuromyelitis optica.
- Trauma is mainly a sudden injury, such as a car accident or sports collision. This can lead to hyperextension of the neck, which mainly results in compressing the spinal cord.
Age is one of the most probable causes of cervical myelopathy in case of patients. Some other spine conditions mainly contribute to spinal cord compression. The cervical myelopathy has got some of the following symptoms:
- The patient mainly feel insensibility as well as tingling in their arms, fingers, or hands
- Muscle weakness can cause difficulty in grasping as well as holding objects
- The patient may feel pain as well as stiffness in the neck
- Coordination issues
- Inability to access some of the fine motor skills to write, button clothes, etc.
The process of diagnosing cervical myelopathy
The healthcare provider will mainly carry out the physical examination to diagnose cervical myelopathy. They are mainly based on the symptoms as well as medical history. These neurological tests mainly are mainly carried out to determine the functionality of reflexes, vision as well as mental conditions. These tests mainly include CT, x-ray, myelogram as well as MRI scan, electromyography (EMG).
Cervical myelopathy can be mainly treated in some of the different ways which mainly includes the combination of therapies as well as medication. At the time of spinal examination, the doctor will mainly ask about their medical health as well as different symptoms. As the person mainly conducts a physical examination, the doctor will mainly look for:
- The overactive reflexes
- The patient may feel difficulty in walking or can have imbalanced coordination
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness which is mainly present in the arms, neck, hands, or shoulders
The healthcare provider mainly helps in suggesting strengthening exercise which helps in decreasing and managing the pain as well as improving the functioning. Some of the other non-surgical approaches are mainly occupational, physical, as well as heat therapies as well as electrical stimulation.
The especialistas en mielopatía cervical mainly know for sure if the patient has this condition by ordering the imaging tests. This scan mainly helps the doctors to view the inside of the spinal canal as well as also check for bulging or herniated discs which are mainly causing compression. A magnetic resonance imaging or MRI scan can also be used in viewing the spinal cord as well as surrounding components.
The level of treatment that the patient will receive mainly depends on the severity of the degeneration as well as compression of the spinal cord. Mild compression may only be corrected with conservative treatment options. In some cases, the healthcare provider may also prescribe medications to reduce the pain and inflammation.
One can get information about cervical myelopathy specialists from their family and friends if they have encountered some of them before. In case of severe pain, one may get a referral from their primary physician.
These are some of the important facts to know about cervical myelopathy specialists as well as some of their duties and responsibilities.