People have long debated what constitutes the ethical use of technology. A recent survey showcases the growing influence of artificial intelligence on business and society but cautions that adoption without ethical considerations could threaten human rights and privacy.
The lack of governance and involvement from underrepresented communities and transparency can lead to AI being prone to biases and misuse. As AI evolves and seeps into more and more aspects of human life, focusing on the ethical use of AI becomes critical to promoting equality and the protection of basic human rights such as privacy.
To derive the most benefit from AI technology and avoid being unintentionally damaging to our communities, all stakeholders – governments, developers, users, researchers, activists – need to come together and put ethical AI principles into action.
As one of the pioneers in the customer relationship management space, Salesforce has evolved from managing contacts to managing the entire customer lifecycle. Today, companies in every industry use salesforce solutions to manage their customer experiences and post-sales services.
This blog will discuss how salesforce is working towards ethical AI for enabling and promoting responsible production and humane use of technology.
Salesforce drives business success with the ethical use of AI
Salesforce believes in the transformative powers of technology and has committed to harnessing its benefits while remaining mindful of its potential risks and how it can impact certain segments of society. Salesforce services and CRM solutions are safe for, inclusive of, and accessible to all.
We identify the following five principles as guidelines for ethical AI:
- Responsibility – for safeguarding human rights and customer data through stricter compliance
- Accountability – that comes from seeking and implementing feedback to improve technology and the policies surrounding it continuously.
- Transparency – in the use of data and how machine-driven, personalized user experiences are provided
- Empowerment – of customers, their employees and customers, and society with the responsible use of technology for faster economic growth
- Inclusivity – imbibed by respecting the societal values—around privacy, communication, etc.— of developers and all those impacted by technology
Salesforce’s Initiatives Towards Ethical AI
Companies today have a responsibility to think through the consequences of the technology they develop and sell. Designing technology responsibly also leads to better adoption rates.
- Salesforce has recently launched the Ethics by Design program for helping enterprises and developers build products with a focus on human rights, safety, and privacy.
- Salesforce established the Office of Ethical and Humane Use of Technology to implement our AI principles and build trust between AI developers and the people technology impacts.
- They also partner with various organizations to share best practices, create higher standards, and increase inclusivity in technology.
Today’s technology landscape is one we all shape together. But with the rise of artificial intelligence, the discussion has intensified as it’s now algorithms, not humans, making decisions about how technology is applied. As an industry, we are at a defining moment to shape the future of AI and help build a better world.