Most people are horrified by the prospect of going bald. Appearance has always been important, but in today’s world of video calls, social media, and selfies, it can feel more critical than ever. So it’s only natural that you want to employ all the tips and tricks at your disposal to fight balding. The good news is that there are plenty of these tactics out there to try. The best options for you will vary depending on the reason why you’re losing your hair, so let’s begin by taking a look at the possible causes of balding.
Why do people go bald?
There are all sorts of reasons why people lose their hair, with both internal causes and external factors playing a part. Some of the most common include:
- Genetics – male pattern baldness is generally caused by genes you’ve inherited
- Stress – life events such as job loss, divorce, and the death of a loved one can all trigger hair loss
- Hormones – hair loss is sometimes due to the hormonal changes your body experiences during pregnancy, childbirth, and the menopause
- Medical conditions – certain diseases, or the treatment for them, can cause hair loss as a side effect
- Aging – as you get older, your hair naturally becomes thinner and finer and also falls out more easily
- Poor diet – deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals (such as iron, zinc, vitamins A, C, and E, and omega-3 fatty acids) can result in hair loss
- Physical damage – your hair will become weaker if you treat it aggressively, for example, by brushing too vigorously, using too much heat when styling, pulling it into tight hairstyles, or using low-quality chemical products such as bleach
Tactics for tackling balding
You will be happy to hear there are several tips and tricks you can use to either prevent or treat balding. The most effective steps for you will depend on the specific causes of your hair loss. Turning to treatments first, these range from over-the-counter and prescription medications to surgical options such as a Hair Transplant on Harley Street. Rest assured that nowadays, these can give you a natural-looking head of hair, with a short recovery time and little to no scarring.
Conversely, if your balding is the result of stress, then it would be helpful to first try addressing this. For instance, you could give meditation or breathing exercises a go, use adult coloring books as a way to combat anxiety or journal to deal with negative thoughts. Even simple self-care techniques such as having a spa day or relaxing with a good book can make a difference.
Finally, it’s vital to treat your hair with respect if you want to prevent balding. That means being gentle when you brush it, not using heated styling tools at too high a temperature, and avoiding tight hairstyles that tug at the roots. If you dye your hair, try to choose high-quality products that don’t contain too many harsh chemicals. In addition, you may want to use a shampoo and conditioner that have been specially formulated to stimulate hair growth for extra peace of mind.