Shopping for bed sheets and bedding sets can be pretty complicated. You are looking for something that will either change the look of your bedroom or help accentuate every aspect of it. There are so many different types of prints, patterns, styles, and fabrics available on the market, picking just one or a couple of bedding items can be difficult. Finding bed sheets that match your taste, your bedroom’s aesthetic and provide you with a comfortable sleep is essential.
The home textile industry has many options to offer, especially when it comes to choosing the right fabric for your bedding set and accessories. There are a number of factors to consider when it comes to choosing the right fabric for your bed sheets and other bedding items. To simplify this process for you, let’s discuss these factors in detail.
- Thread Count
The thread count of a fabric is one of the most important factors to consider when it comes to choosing the right fabric for your bed sheets and covers. You can use the thread count to determine the quality of the fabric. The higher the thread count is, the softer the fabric is to feel. Even though the thread count can serve as an indicator of the quality of a fabric, many businesses tend to inflate the thread count to be able to sell their products at higher prices. The thread count can also determine the durability of a fabric. Good quality sheets will usually have a thread count that ranges from 200 to 800, but there are some sheets that have a thread count that goes over 1,000. Any sheets with a thread count lower than 200 will feel stiffer. If you live in a city where it’s warmer most of the year-round, you might want to opt for bed sheets with a thread count that goes as high as 400 for a soft and cool feel.
When it comes to picking a material or fabric for your bedding, it is mostly about personal preferences. It is basically like picking what you will wear for about 8 hours a day. There are many different materials to pick from, and every material has its own qualities and thread count to consider. Cotton, acetate, silk, polyester, and bamboo are among some of the popular materials used for bedding.
Every fabric is woven differently, and that has a significant effect on how the fabric feels on the human skin. Some fabrics are tightly woven and feel lightweight. Cotton percale is the perfect example for a tightly woven, lightweight fabric that feels cool. Other fabrics that are made of microfibers are heavy and woven extremely tightly. Due to the way these fabrics are woven, they are extra-soft and wrinkle-free.
The pattern or design of your bedding is another important factor to consider, especially if you are very particular about the look of your bedroom. When you go shopping for bed sheets and other beddings, you come across a million patterns and prints to choose from. It is important to go for patterns and colors that complement the overall look of your bedroom, something that matches with the shade of your bedroom furniture or the color of your walls. If your nature leans on the carefree side, then you are more than welcome to experiment with all the different types of prints and patterns available in the market. Your comfort matters the most!
Depending on the seasons, some fabrics may be too heavy, making you sweat throughout the night. And for cold nights, some fabrics can be too lightweight to provide any warmth. If you are not looking to splurge on bedding right now, you can use your summer bed sheets all year round by just adding a duvet, blanket, or throw for chilly nights.
Types of Fabrics
- Cotton: One of the most popular fabrics in the world, cotton is commonly used in bed sheets and bedding. This fabric is very affordable, but it is also breathable, soft, and durable. Cotton can further be divided into different kinds; Egyptian cotton, Pima cotton, upland cotton, Supima®, and MicroCotton®.
- Acetate: Produced from cellulose found in wood fibers, acetate is extremely soft. The fibers of this fabric are so delicate that sheets made out of acetate can only be hand-washed or dry-cleaned.
- Polyester: Made with the identical polymers that are used in plastic bottles, polyester can be stiff and uncomfortable to use on its own. So polyester is commonly mixed with cotton to produce cheaper bed sheets. When polyester is excellently woven, it can be vended as microfiber. Bed sheets made of microfiber can be extremely soft, though they are not as breathable as cotton bed sheets.
- Bamboo: The fibers of bamboo can be transformed into a fabric that is rigid and rough. To make bamboo a softer and usable fabric for bed sheets and bedding, manufacturers use an extensive chemical process to dissolve bamboo pulp and turn it into thread. While bamboo bed sheets sound like they are environment friendly, in reality, they are quite the opposite.
- Silk: Known as the most luxurious and expensive fabric in the world, silk is made out of fiber that silkworms produce. Since silks provide such a soft, lustrous, and smooth feel, silk bed sheets are usually associated with a romantic time in the bedroom. Silk is also naturally hypoallergenic, making it one of the best fabrics to be used in bedding. The only downside of silk is that it is too expensive. Buying silk bed sheets and bedding can leave a hole in your pockets if you are on a tight budget.
- Nylon: Just like polyester, nylon is a synthetic fabric that is known to be sturdy and durable. While it can provide you with a satiny feel and wrinkle-free look, nylon bed sheets cannot last in higher temperatures or too much sunlight.
- Blends: Blends of fabrics are also popularly used in bedding. The most popular blend would be considered cotton and polyester, but other blends are available in the market as well. Cotton/bamboo, nylon/polyester, and cotton/rayon are some blends to produce affordable and wrinkle-free bedding.
Your Trusted Bedsheet Brand in Pakistan
Among many bedsheet brands in Pakistan, Annies Home Decor tends to stand out because of its extensive range of fancy, bridal, and luxury bed sheets. Using different fabrics of superior quality, Annies Home Decor provides the people of Pakistan with stylish and classy options for bedding. Their affordable products add the flair and classiness to your bedroom that you have been looking for all this time. With unique patterns and designs, Annies Home Decor’s bedsheet and duvet sets deliver comfort and style!